From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: "-incubator" in versions of podling maven artifacts
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2015 23:49:27 GMT
Agree about the worry about breaking semantic versioning. OSGi-wise
for example this is a bit tricky, where you have to do
0.5.3.incubating instead to ensure "incubating" is a qualifier rather
than part of the 3.

But if the project is publishing Maven artifacts, then I believe it's
pretty clean if a project release time-line goes like this:

(groupId:artifactId:version)

org.apache.thingie:thingie-api:0.5.0-incubating
org.apache.thingie:thingie-api:0.6.0-incubating
org.apache.thingie:thingie-api:0.6.1
org.apache.thingie:thingie-api:1.0.0

.. rather than varying the groupId or artifactId before/after
graduation. Here 0.6.1 is still a patch release from 0.6.0-incubating
(so not breaking anything), but community-wise it is sending a
stronger signal.

I think formally the requirement is just that there is "incubating"
somewhere in the released downloadables, it doesn't have to be part of
the version number.

On 10 February 2015 at 23:25, Julien Le Dem <julien@ledem.net> wrote:
> Hi Incubator,
> I'd like some context about the requirement of adding -incubating in the file name of
podling releases.

> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/release-java.html#best-practice-maven
>
> It seems we require adding -incubating in the version for maven artifacts which breaks
Semantic versioning as hyphen is used for pre-releases.
> It is also confusing as we vote on a version number but that's not what we use as the
artifact version.
> We are already publishing the source release in the incubator project and have incubating
in its file name as well as DISCLAIMER files.
> So it seems to me that adding it in the maven artifact is a bit overkill.
> Every release as to get through the vote of the IPMC anyway so it's not like podlings
releases are not vetted appropriately.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
Apache Taverna (incubating)