From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: "-incubator" in versions of podling maven artifacts
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2015 09:00:16 GMT
Agreed. Both podlings and graduated projects might release components that
are at different maturity levels.

So formally incubation status should "really" be indicated with a different
groupId, not as a version qualifier.

This would however cause unnecessary confusion if/when the project
graduates, as the groupId would suddenly change.

With different groupIds, Maven would not easily detect the duplicate if a
project somehow pulled in both an incubator and a graduate release

Downstream users would just see there were no further releases beyond the
last incubator one. (Maven renames help, but are still underutilized)

So personally, as a heavy Maven user, I very much still more prefer the
current norm of indicating the incubation status in the version field, even
though it is not quite technically correct by some measures.