From Sergio Fernández <sergio.fernan...@salzburgresearch.at>
Subject [DISCUSS] Commons RDF to join the Apache Incubator
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2015 07:49:17 GMT
Hello everyone,

I would like to propose Commons RDF, a small library providing a common
API for RDF 1.1. The  current draft of the proposal is here:

   http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/CommonsRDF

The main motivation behind this simple library is revise an historical
incompatibility issue in the Java world. In particular, commons RDF aims
to provide a type-safe, non-general API that covers RDF 1.1.

The path for the project is clear. But in this phase Commons RDF has to
focus on the API design, which actively involves developers of existing
toolkits, so it is better to have a more focused community and
infrastructure than the Commons Sandbox. Then we have come to the
conclusion that incubation is probably the best path, and then gradually
prepare the Commons RDF community for working within the larger Apache
Commons community. Therefore we hope the possible conflict with the name
of this podling would not been seen as a problem during incubation.

We would gladly welcome additional volunteers to act as mentors on the
project, as well as a champion, preferable someone with any relationship
with the Apache Common community.

Thanks!
Andy, Peter, Stian, Reto and Sergio

--