From Richard Frovarp <rfrov...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lack of releases with Droids
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2014 21:05:50 GMT
On 08/18/2014 03:40 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 12:42 PM, Richard Frovarp <rfrovarp@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> A lot of wind was taken out of the sails in the fights to get the IPMC votes
>> necessary to finish a release. We had two votes, but needed to request
>> several times for help getting that third vote. For those that did help us
>> out, thank you. However, the whole process wasn't fun or easy. With most
>> every other PMC, you're going to have enough interested parties to chip in
>> and help get that release out, without asking for votes for well over a
>> week.
> The release process reforms adopted in December 2013 greatly mitigate
> this problem. (All Droids releases pre-date the reforms.)
>
>    http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases

I had to read it a couple of times, but that does make it easier. Not
exactly clear how a podling gets pre-cleared, but that would make
releases much easier for a project like Droids.

> These days, I think we should have little sympathy for podlings who
> choose to wait passively for IPMC votes rather than seize the
> initiative.

Define "seize the initiative". You are right, our releases were made
before those changes. The last release involved 4 messages to the
general@i.a.o asking for help over the course of a month to get the
votes. That one was unfortunate as the only binding vote from the IPMC
was me, so we were in need of two binding votes.

>> That in my opinion killed releases, which helped kill development. That
>> makes growing a community difficult. I RM'd the two releases, and I really
>> don't feel like doing a 3rd.
> That's unfortunate for Droids.
>
> But whether a community can find a way to push through the release
> process is some measure of whether it has enough energy to survive as
> a TLP -- especially now that our reforms have empowered sufficiently
> motivated podling communities to drive the process.
>
> Marvin Humphrey

Well we pushed through it, twice, when you thought it was harder to do.
The problem is that it zapped a lot of the energy doing so. We made
legal two legal releases despite the problems. A couple of issues with
some of the legalities were caught when doing the first release. Once
those issues were fixed (NOTICE file was one of them), we were good. I
completely understand the need for how we do things at the ASF. I am in
favor of them.