From Kevin Minder <kevin.min...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE Role Models
Date Mon, 23 Dec 2013 15:28:49 GMT
I was thinking that the real problem is that each new project is forced
to rediscover the right thing to do each time.  From my POV there really
aren't that many licenses out there.  If there were just a wiki that said...
1) If you include source with X license, then Y must go in LICENSE and Z
in NOTICE.
2) If you use a binary with X license, then Y must go in LICENSE and Z
in NOTICE.
As new or "one off" license are discovered the legal or whomever
actually knows the rules adds to the wiki.

On 12/22/13 10:08 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 2:24 AM, Stephen Connolly
> <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It would be great if we could get a resolution on some of the JIRA's in
>> legal, e.g.
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-26
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-27
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-31
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-136
> +1
>
> The continuing lack of clear resolution also impacts the Incubator.  Podlings
> challenge us with "You say do X, but Apache Foo does Y -- where is it
> documented that we have to do X?"  Then we go down the path of hunting up
> Board member quotes and past threads on legal-discuss.
>
> It would make things easier on all Apache TLPs and Incubator podlings if we
> could get the following elements in sync:
>
> *   Apache Legal policy documentation.
> *   http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html
> *   Maven's processes.
> *   The actual LICENSE/NOTICE practices for the ASF's top ten or so most
>      popular products.
>
>> The most critical one to the Maven PMC is LEGAL-26:
> Perhaps, though the way that Maven would implement LEGAL-26 (LICENSE/NOTICE in
> svn) is impacted by LEGAL-27 (LICENSE/NOTICE must reference *only* bundled
> dependencies).
>
> I'm not on the Legal Affairs committee, but I did write most of the Licensing
> How-To.  Come January, I'd like to do what I can to move the process forward.
> A lot of valuable developer time has been wasted over the years rehashing
> these issues over and over again, and it's not like most developers relish
> this stuff.  Clear policy documentation would be a valuable contribution to
> all of the Foundation's projects.
>
> Marvin Humphrey

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE