From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE Role Models
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2013 02:22:43 GMT
On Dec 10, 2013, at 6:15 PM, P. Taylor Goetz <ptgoetz@gmail.com> wrote:

> In the process of preparing the LICENSE and NOTICE files for Storm, I started looking
at what other Apache projects (both incubator and TLPs) have done.

> It seems like approaches are all over the map. I've even seen projects that don't have
a NOTICE.

> My question to any mentors and PMC members is are there any projects that stand out as
having done a really good job at this? (I understand that every circumstance is different.)

I would not call these role models or any where near, but for Apache Airavata, we spent months
during incubation to get the L&N files right (thanks to our patient mentors). If useful
here are the pointers:

Source L&N files (essentially there are no third party sources bundled, hence ALV2 only):
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/airavata/trunk/LICENSE
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/airavata/trunk/NOTICE

The binary distribution bundles a whole bunch of dependencies and we had to manually traverse
through every bundled jar:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/airavata/trunk/modules/distribution/airavata-server/src/main/resources/LICENSE
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/airavata/trunk/modules/distribution/airavata-server/src/main/resources/NOTICE

Note: In recent past there have been more clarifications on NOTICE file needing to be even
more minimalistic, we did not yet adhere to these policies yet. So recently released incubator
projects might have better examples.

Suresh

> One project that stood out to me was Cassandra. Storm actually shares some of the same
dependencies, so I found their approach helpful.