From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Question about jar files in svn.
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2013 03:45:03 GMT

Hi all:

We’re having a discussion over in dev@river.apache.org that was triggered by the recent
discussion here about the Spark podling release.  In particular,
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201312.mbox/%3CCAAS6%3D7iQSKTgNdO-0Qyd3T9--%2B%2BHQFEmhJi7CHoByqvQvp9_bg%40mail.gmail.com%3E
has caused me to start asking questions…

Since Incubator is a good repository of Apache’s institutional knowledge, I wonder if someone
could point me towards resources that clarify the policy on dependency jars in releases and
in the svn repository.  If I understand it correctly, there shouldn’t (perhaps even must
not be) any jar files checked into subversion or included in a source release.  Is that correct?
 To be more specific, there doesn’t seem to be any doubt that jars shouldn’t be included
in source release packages, but would it be fair to say that they should also not be in the
svn?

Thanks in advance,

Greg Trasuk
PMC Chair, Apache River.