From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Source tar ball != svn tag (was: Re: [VOTE] Approve release CXF 2.0.5-incubator)
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2008 03:43:50 GMT
Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> On 3/28/08, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>>  "The PRIOR rules said you place/retain copyright notices on each file.
>>   The NEW policy says you can skip that, move them into a NOTICE. The policy
>>   *never* granted you the right to remove them altogether, or make the
>>   providence of the code impossible to track down by placing it [the NOTICE
>>   and LICENSE] in a meaningless location."
>>
>>  and wasn't disputed.  Anyone care to try?
>
> "meaningless location" is disputable. Take Wicket for example: we have
> different sub projects that are released in one distribution artifact,
> and as jars for each sub project into the maven repository. Each sub
> project depends on different code under different licenses, with
> different notice requirements.
>
> So we keep the particular notice and license file for each sub project
> in its root folder, and concatenate them all during the release build
> into a big license and notice file.

Martijn, that's completely in line with my statement.  Each element is
properly attributed, and then in your release process you assemble them
all into a proper and complete attribution.

> Keeping them separate in our svn repo is better as each sub project's
> maintainer knows when/how/why to update and modify the notice/license
> files. When the release is cut, these changes are automatically
> incorporated into the big distribution. This also prevents
> wicket-spring-1.3.3.jar from having notice attributions from
> wicket-guice-1.3.3.jar, which would be rather silly and certainly
> confusing.

That was exactly my point about altogether *missing* notice and license
files that don't occur in a particular svn repository, at least at trunk/
applicable to everything within that tree, and more frequently if it's
simpler to maintain.

Bill