From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Source tar ball != svn tag (was: Re: [VOTE] Approve release CXF 2.0.5-incubator)
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:56:48 GMT
On Monday 31 March 2008 01:19, Matthieu Riou wrote:
> So what makes you pretty sure public access to a SCM amounts to
> distribution in the definition of publication? AFAICT, there's still no
> purpose of distribution.

If I take various chapters of Copyrighted material (books, music) and make it
available to the public, without the "purpose" to distribute, I am violating
the law, conciously or not... I might be wrong, but IIRC "purpose" and the
related "intent" words are not defined in Copyright law.

I.e. the fact that it was distributed is what constitutes the act of
distribution, whether you intended it or not. I assume that illegal
activities, such as theft, are excluded from my responsibility, provided I
have taken reasonable actions to prevent it (putting up a sign saying "Not
for download" is not good enough).

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer