TL;DR version: Groovy 3 doesn't support using the multiple Groovy jars as automatic modules. I'd recommend placing them on the classpath.

More details:
Groovy prior to 3 had numerous jars with classes having common package names, e.g. "groovy.util". Groovy 3 has repackaged all such offending classes but retained deprecated original packages for backwards compatibility. If you only use the newer versions of those classes, you could do extra work to explicitly declare modules and export only the non-offending packages but we don't currently do that for you. Groovy 4 has only the new package names and so will be module friendly out of the box but no longer backwards compatible.

Cheers, Paul.