Yea, I've thought about renaming the repo to groovy-wix-installer for that reason.

As for multiplatform installers, there is izpack, but I thought it best to use a more native installer when doing things like modifying PATH (from what I saw people were calling VB or Python scripts to handle that with izpack -- ugly and potentially dangerous).

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 6:46 AM Merlin Beedell <MBeedell@cryoserver.com> wrote:

I was a bit confused, as WIX is a web site design and hosting service: www.wix.com.

 But now I see your link, and it is WiX Toolset – “The most powerful set of tools available to create your Windows installation experience.”

That makes more sense.

Though it’s a shame that a multi-platform Java based installer could not be used (if such a thing exists).

Merlin Beedell

From: Keegan Witt <keeganwitt@gmail.com>
Sent: 11 February 2019 2:24 AM
To: users@groovy.apache.org
Subject: New Groovy Windows installer

I'm working on a new installer for Windows using WIX to create an MSI installer, which should be more robust for things like altering environment variables and make it easier to do corporate installations.

I'm a total noob when it comes to Windows Installer and WIX, so I'm sure I've done some dumb things, but I hacked together a basic working installer this weekend.  I've put the initial version of the installer here.  Your feedback is appreciated.

Some things I'm still thinking about or working on:

  • The start menu shortcuts for documentation don't go into a subfolder, I'm not sure why.
  • Heat will generate new GUIDs for the binaries and docs folders every time the project is built -- I'm not sure if that's the correct thing to do.
  • Would you ever want to set GROOVY_HOME without adding to PATH?  Or add to PATH without setting GROOVY_HOME?  Currently the installer groups these together in a single feature.
  • We should use registry entries to remember which features the user selected to install, so those are automatically selected during upgrades.
  • Desktop shortcuts.
  • Quick launch shortcuts.  I don't think people use these much anymore, but I can throw them in -- maybe disabled by default?
  • Should I create an exe version of the installer as well as the msi?

-Keegan