+1 to what Guillaume said :) Common guys! Lets focus on what we think is a great language and let others think what they want!

Regarding the duration of the award. I've though about it, trying not to think in terms of annually or permanent, but trying to see what's out there outside the CS world, and I ended up thinking on the Nobel prize. I'd like some ideas of Nobel prize:
Despite the difference of content between the Nobel prize and the Groovy awards, after reviewing these points I think they seem to fit better in the Groovy Champions/Stars idea. There is also something I haven't heard yet. I guess this will require a kind of permanent organization, e.g. to contact members, nominees, organize the awards, a web to show the winners...etc

BTW: Here you have another naming for the awards: Groovisimo Awards. Can you imaging a "Groovisimo" statue like the Oscars ? It would be a blast XDDDD

My two cents
Mario

James Stachan's quote has really been taken out of context, and over-exagerated bu the Scala-fanboys.
If Scala had been what it is now, James would probably not have initiated Groovy *then*. But Scala was nascent just like Groovy *then*.
It's like if Gavin King had said that he wouldn't have invented Hibernate if JPA had existed... but JPA came ten years later.

This quote was really harmful, but as the saying goes, lots of water's gone through the bridges since then.

There's still the myth of slowliness, which we all know is not true anymore, even in pure dynamic mode (without even mentioning static compilation)
Usually, you spend way more time in network latency (access to remote resources, access to database, etc) than waiting for the CPU spent by just the pure language execution time.

Also back on James Strachan: he went to play with Scala, then with Kotlin, and has come back to using Groovy.
He's using Groovy on a regular basis through his work with Jenkins, its pipelines, etc.
So he's back at his old love!

So let's turn the page on those stories, please.

Guillaume