Hi Søren,

I agree that they are all stars. One can have all stars without having "Groovy Stars" however ;-)

Regarding your arguments, I in turn disagree :-)
  1. I think that the image of star as a celestial body is not the typical association with the word in this context, especially if used in plural (i.e. Groovy Stars).
  2. As I have said before, the star in the Groovy logo can imho easily be missed (on the Apache Groovy start page it is even partially cut off), so the link here to me is weak.
  3. Since many people in this industry have most probably played Nintendo games (at least) when they were younger, I uphold the validity of my argument regarding this association.
  4. "Rock Stars" in the Java world are "Rock Star speakers at Java One", i.e. people who give presentations that, are supposed to "rock". The term "rock star" associates with a certain amount or coolness and rebellion - things that are typically absent from Java conferences, so it is clear why they would like to inject that by choosing the term ;-)
  5. "Star players" in e.g. sports are exactly that: People who make a lot of money and are known and are revered by millions of people. Calling yourself a "star" if you are not even close to that level feels tacky to me.
Cheers,
mg