Hi Mike,

Thanks for the follow up!

Apologies for the slow movement on the issue of licensing, I'll be putting out a blog post with clarification for everyone else and also update the site with that information. We're just swamped with work at the moment trying to get things going.

Solvent as a platform is a combination of an application server (Jetty primarily), a Middleware (written in Java, for now at least) and a front-end developer application.

Jetty of course is open source, and also you may use a different J2EE container with some minor change to your application configuration and including the necessary library dependencies (all library dependencies are open source).

The Middleware is also open source with the Apache 2.0 license. We'll be setting up a GitHub repo for the middleware to facilitate collaboration though for now we maintain the code as part of the overall distribution. The middleware is what is required to run Solvent applications. You can find the middleware code under /com/crudzilla/Solvent/Solvent-Middleware.

The final component is the developer application, which it self runs on top of the Solvent middleware. The complete source code of this application is also included with the distribution; However, this is a commercial application and we're still trying to determine an appropriate license for it. Most likely this application will end up having an Atlassian style permissive source code license, meaning customers/users will have the right to modify it to suit their needs but may not redistribute their modifications. The source code for the developer application can be found under /com/crudzilla/Solvent/web .

Basically the developer web application is the value-add product that Codesolvent as a company will be selling. We're still working out pricing and a license model. The developer application is not a requirement for running Solvent applications or even creating them, granted it will not be ideal to build applications in a plain text code environment. We'll likely also end up putting the developer application on GitHub to facilitate user contribution (bug fixes, enhancements..etc) which may be integrated if we deem it suitable.

I am very much interested in your feedback/concern both regarding the product and the license model.

Regards
Edmond