groovy-users mailing list archives

From Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>
Subject Re: .with() variant that returns the original object
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2016 04:50:10 GMT
Yes, there are no plans to break backwards compatibility, it's very
handy to be able to do:

def fullName = person.with{ "$firstName $lastName" }

We wouldn't want code like that to break.

Cheers, Paul.

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 7:02 AM, Winnebeck, Jason
<Jason.Winnebeck@windstream.com> wrote:
> Regarding Jochen's
> Please don't change the existing behavior of with, that was mentioned once before, and
it breaks backwards compatibility. I use it extensively in DSL code, here is a fictional DSL
example that is similar in what I use it for:

> def peopleWhere(Closure c) { people.findAll { it.with(c) } }
>
> def younglings = peopleWhere { age < 35 }
>
> In this example, I use with to avoid the extra boilerplate of cloning the closure and
setting resolve strategy, delegate, and calling it.

> Jason

closure and not the return. We have for example withReader, withWriter, withOutputStream,
etc. Those all imply that the parameter is the reader, the writer, the output stream. So in
my mind, withThis tells me nothing at all about the fact that the original object is returned.
withThis would not be consistent with the rest of Groovy.

> I agree with this one.
>
>> .with(returnThis:true) not only has runtime overhead, but keep in mind we are comparing
this to the current state today, which is .with { return this }, or .with { this } depending
on your style.

> here I have to correct a bit though. Just want to avoid we start discussing the wrong
thing... And I just noticed Paul made the very same mistake in the original post already.
Well, maybe not too late yet

> we are talking about
>
> foo.with {
>    return foo
> }
>
> or
>
> foo.with {
>   return it
> }
>
> not about something returning "this" at any point. "return this" would return neither
the open block, nor foo, it would be the enclosing class instance. No delegate has influence
about any explicit this ever.

> Ah, and I did just see Jason noticed it in a later mail... well, maybe saying it two
times is better ;)

> Anyway, that´s why I think withThis and with(returnThis:true) are not good variants.
>
> Also it should be noted that we already have an alias for "with", which is "identity".
I would not want to have yet another one.

> Frankly... I think we should change what it returns. It is unlikely somebody did depend
on with returning null.

> bye Jochen
>
> This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
original message and any attachments.