I think that the type checker is technically correct here. The RHS is correctly inferred (it's a `Map<String, String>`). And since you are trying to assign it to `Map<String, Object>` it fails. It's a consequence of inference of literals (Java doesn't have such literals so no such issues). You have to separate declaration from assignment, or use a cast.

Is there a way to avoid awkward typing issues with literals as in this case:

@CompileStatic
void f() {
  Map<String, Object> x = [a: '1']
  println x + [b: 2]
}

This results in the following errors in 2.4.5:

[Static type checking] - Incompatible generic argument types. Cannot assign java.util.LinkedHashMap <java.lang.String, java.lang.String> to: java.util.Map <String, Object>
 at line: 3, column: 27

[Static type checking] - Cannot call <K,V> java.util.LinkedHashMap <java.lang.String, java.lang.String>#plus(java.util.Map <java.lang.String, java.lang.String>) with arguments [java.util.LinkedHashMap <java.lang.String, java.lang.Integer>]
 at line: 4, column: 13

It seems that the static compiler has issues with inferring RHS types. I think it might be similar to this case I run into from time to time:

@CompileStatic
void g(List<Integer> items) {}

@CompileStatic
void h() {
  g(Collections.emptyList())
}

Results in:
[Static type checking] - Cannot call ConsoleScript6#g(java.util.List <java.lang.Integer>) with arguments [java.util.List <T extends java.lang.Object>]

Jason Winnebeck