How/where are you starting your sources and sinks?

From: Mohit Durgapal [mailto:durgapalmohit@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2015 12:20 AM
To: user
Subject: Re: When to stop an agent with a Spool Directory source

I am not sure about your use case but I am writing about my experiences with flume.
Generally you would use flume for streaming data and will not stop the components ever. You have  source & sinks running all the time so that as soon as an application writes into the spool directory, the source reads it(as per the flume agent configuration) and puts it the in the channel from where sink consumes it.

Otherwise, I can't think of anything other than a shell script to run periodically to start-stop the agent.

Regards

Mohit