It seemed neater at the time. It's only an issue because rollInterval doesn't remove the entry in sfWriters. We could change it so that close doesn't cancel it, and have it check whether or not the writer is already closed, but that'd be kind of ugly.

@Mohit:

When flume dies unexpectedly the .tmp file remains. When it restarts there is some logic in HDFS sink to recover it(and continue writing from there). I'm not actually sure of the specifics. You may want to try and just kill -9 a running flume process on a test machine and then start it up, look at the logs and see what happens with the output.

If flume dies cleanly the file is properly closed.