flume-user mailing list archives

From Rahul Ravindran <rahu...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Netcat source stops processing data
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2012 23:20:24 GMT
Pinging on this slightly old thread.

I want to avoid the overhead of HTTP. Is it possible to get the NetCat source be fixed to
not send the OK? I did a local build of flume without the "OK" being written, and it works
fine.
If there are tests which depend on the OK being sent back, could an additional parameter which
skips it be added?

________________________________
 From: Rahul Ravindran <rahulrv@yahoo.com>
To: "user@flume.apache.org" <user@flume.apache.org>
Cc: "user@flume.apache.org" <user@flume.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 8, 2012 6:15 PM
Subject: Re: Netcat source stops processing data

Thanks! Will try removing the ok.

Sent from my phone.Excuse the terseness.

On Nov 8, 2012, at 3:15 PM, Hari Shreedharan <hshreedharan@cloudera.com> wrote:

Rahul,

>Are you reading the responses sent by the net cat source? If you don't read the OK sent
by net cat source on your application side, your application's buffer gets full causing
the net cat source to queue up stuff and eventually die. It is something we need to fix,
but I don't know if anyone is using net cat in production - you should probably test using
Avro source or the new HTTP source(for this you would need to build trunk/1.3 branch or wait
for 1.3 release).

>Thanks
>Hari
>

>--
>Hari Shreedharan
>

>On Thursday, November 8, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Rahul Ravindran wrote:
>Hello,
>>  I wanted to perform a load test to get an idea of how we would look to scale flume
for our deployment. I have pasted the config file at the source below. I have a netcat source
which is listening on a port and have 2 channels, 2 avro sinks consuming the events from the
netcat source.

>>My load generator is a simple C program which is continually sending 20 characters
in each message using a socket, and send(). I notice that , initially, a lot of traffic makes
it through and then the flume agent appears to stop consuming data(after about 80k messages).
This results in the tcp receive and send buffer being full. I understand that the rate at
which I am generating traffic may overwhelm flume, but I would expect it to gradually consume
data. It does not consume any more messages. I looked through the flume logs and did not see
anything there (no stack trace). I ran tcpdump and see that the receive window initially is
non-zero but begins to decrease and then goes down to zero, and very slowly opens up to a
size of 1 (once in 10 seconds)