flume-user mailing list archives

From "Dan Everton" <...@iocaine.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: Possible Bug in AvroEventSource
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2011 05:37:56 GMT
On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 13:00 +1000, "Dan Everton" <dan@iocaine.org> wrote:

> Poking around the AvroEventSource.java code around those lines I see
> this
>
>     this.svr = new FlumeEventAvroServerImpl(port) {
>       @Override
>       public void append(AvroFlumeEvent evt) {
>         // convert AvroEvent evt -> e
>         AvroEventAdaptor adapt = new AvroEventAdaptor(evt);
>         try {
>           enqueue(adapt.toFlumeEvent());
>         } catch (IOException e1) {
>           e1.printStackTrace();
>         }
>         super.append(evt);
>       }
>     };
>
> The fact that any exceptions form the enqueue process get swallowed
> seems problematic to me, but I'm not sure if it's why things eventually
> fail.

I think I totally misread the above code and the problem is likely
elsewhere. I still think it's bad that the exception gets swallowed, but
I don't understand Flume well enough to know what the consequence of
that is. Either way, switching back to using Thrift for RPC seems to
have solved this for now.

Cheers,
Dan