celix-dev mailing list archives

From Roy Lenferink <rlenfer...@apache.org>
Subject [LAZY] Use master as development branch
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2020 17:22:11 GMT
Hi all,

I'd like to propose the idea of using the 'master' branch as our development branch. Why?
- ASF releases are promoted through the ASF mirroring system. Our website is built on top
of this
allowing the user to select a mirror for downloading the release. Cloning the git repository
is not
the first thing a user does. Even if users plan to use the git repository they can use a specific
tag.
- The ASF allows committers to use a so-called .asf.yaml file [1] for changing repository
settings.
However, changes to this file are only propagated when made on the master (or trunk) branch.

IMO our current workflow with develop/master just adds extra complexity. Other ASF projects
are
using the master branch as their development branch as well, e.g. Spark [2], Dubbo [3], Flink
[4] &
HBase[5].

If no objections within 72 hours I'll merge the 'develop' branch to our 'master' branch, update
the
current open pull requests to have 'master' as base branch, open a ticket to remove branch

protection for the develop branch & update the website to point to the master branch for
changes
instead of the develop branch.

See also [6] for a short discussion on this topic already.

Best,
Roy

[1] https://s.apache.org/asfyaml
[2] https://github.com/apache/spark