celix-dev mailing list archives

From Roy Lenferink <rlenfer...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Use master as development branch
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2020 17:09:14 GMT
Hi,

On 2020/04/23 16:20:06, Alexander Broekhuis <a.broekhuis@gmail.com> wrote:
> Op do 23 apr. 2020 om 09:10 schreef Pepijn Noltes <pepijnnoltes@gmail.com>:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > +1 for me.
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 6:34 AM Alexander Broekhuis
> > <a.broekhuis@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not against this. But would like some more info on how we are going
> > to work with this.
> > >
> > > What is your proposal wrt feature, bugfix and release branches?
> > > One concern I have is that last one. With a dev/master split, a release
> > branch can be used to prepare a release to master, while dev is used to
> > continue merging new features to.
> > > How should we do that now?
> >
> > Maybe I am oversimplifying this, but IMO almost everything will be the
> > same, expect that there is no master branch pointing to the latest
> > release.
> > So instead of creating a tag, merging to master and then merging to
> > develop. The last part can be dropped.
> >

> Sounds good enough for me. Perhaps this is me lacking some git knowledge,
> but the tag is on the branch, and the branch can be deleted later. Is that
> a problem? Just asking to be sure. I think it is important to be able to
> continue on master with new development.

With git both tags as branches are pointers to a commit. Performing a tag on a branch and
then
deleting the branch will still preserve the tag.

> > If we follow our release procedure [1] we also use a release branch
> > and only the "Merge to master and create GIT tag" needs to change.
> > I rather have that we move forward and when updating the website also
> > update the "Merge to master and create GIT tag" of the release
> > procedure.
> >
> > If any more documentation is needed we can address this on a later date.
> >

> What's the rush with this? Let's do it properly at once. It is not like we
> are having any problems at the moment. Also IMHO, I don't think what I am
> requesting is anything difficult/strange.
>
> Like I said, I am in favour, but just prefer to do it in one go...

I agree. While discussing the topic we might as well discuss it properly. I tried to visualize
a possible
development workflow here: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/MwwRCQ

As Pepijn mentioned it doesn't really differ that much from our current workflow.

Feel free to provide feedback and/or changes so we can optimize our process in a way which
works
best for us. I put it on the wiki so it can be easily edited.