celix-dev mailing list archives

From Pepijn Noltes <pepijnnol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [LAZY] Use master as development branch
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2020 07:10:05 GMT
Hi All,

+1 for me.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 6:34 AM Alexander Broekhuis
<a.broekhuis@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not against this. But would like some more info on how we are going to work with
this.

> What is your proposal wrt feature, bugfix and release branches?
> One concern I have is that last one. With a dev/master split, a release branch can be
used to prepare a release to master, while dev is used to continue merging new features to.
> How should we do that now?

Maybe I am oversimplifying this, but IMO almost everything will be the
same, expect that there is no master branch pointing to the latest
release.
So instead of creating a tag, merging to master and then merging to
develop. The last part can be dropped.

If we follow our release procedure [1] we also use a release branch
and only the "Merge to master and create GIT tag" needs to change.
I rather have that we move forward and when updating the website also
update the "Merge to master and create GIT tag" of the release
procedure.

If any more documentation is needed we can address this on a later date.

[1] https://celix.apache.org/contributing/releasing.html

> Before doing the actual change, can you draft up a developer page for it?
>
> Because of this, for now a -1. Will gladly change to a +1 if things are clear!
>
> --
> Met vriendelijke groet,
>
> Alexander Broekhuis
> On 22 apr. 2020 19:22 +0200, Roy Lenferink <rlenferink@apache.org>, wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'd like to propose the idea of using the 'master' branch as our development branch.
Why?
> > - ASF releases are promoted through the ASF mirroring system. Our website is built
on top of this
> > allowing the user to select a mirror for downloading the release. Cloning the git
repository is not
> > the first thing a user does. Even if users plan to use the git repository they can
use a specific tag.
> > - The ASF allows committers to use a so-called .asf.yaml file [1] for changing repository
settings.
> > However, changes to this file are only propagated when made on the master (or trunk)
branch.