celix-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Broekhuis <a.broekh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [LAZY] Use master as development branch
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2020 04:34:00 GMT
I'm not against this. But would like some more info on how we are going to work with this.

What is your proposal wrt feature, bugfix and release branches?
One concern I have is that last one. With a dev/master split, a release branch can be used
to prepare a release to master, while dev is used to continue merging new features to.
How should we do that now?

Before doing the actual change, can you draft up a developer page for it?

Because of this, for now a -1. Will gladly change to a +1 if things are clear!

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Alexander Broekhuis
On 22 apr. 2020 19:22 +0200, Roy Lenferink <rlenferink@apache.org>, wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to propose the idea of using the 'master' branch as our development branch.
Why?
> - ASF releases are promoted through the ASF mirroring system. Our website is built on
top of this
> allowing the user to select a mirror for downloading the release. Cloning the git repository
is not
> the first thing a user does. Even if users plan to use the git repository they can use
a specific tag.
> - The ASF allows committers to use a so-called .asf.yaml file [1] for changing repository
settings.
> However, changes to this file are only propagated when made on the master (or trunk)
branch.

> IMO our current workflow with develop/master just adds extra complexity. Other ASF projects
are
> using the master branch as their development branch as well, e.g. Spark [2], Dubbo [3],
Flink [4] &