ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jaikiran Pai <jai.forums2...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Impact of Java SecurityManager being deprecated for removal post Java 17
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2021 09:01:30 GMT

On 19/08/21 1:15 pm, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On 2021-08-05, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
>
>> Ant project will be impacted by this. Ant provides a "permissions"
>> type[1] whose whole goal is to integrate with the Java SecurityManager
>> to allow users to configure the necessary security permissions. With
>> the SecurityManager and the APIs potentially gone after Java 17, we
>> can no longer support this. One additional point to note here is that,
>> Ant also uses the SecurityManager APIs even when "permissions" type is
>> not involved, at least in the "java" task and the "junit" task, where
>> we setup a SecurityManager with very minimal permissions.
> ... One migration option might be to offer an antlib containing the
> permissions stuff and deprecate the core types - and remove them from
> core once the next Java LTS version without SecurityManager arrives.

This is an interesting point. It would however mean that core Ant will
now depend on an (in theory external) antlib. I haven't checked if we
already have such dependencies and if not, whether it's OK to add such a
dependency. Furthermore, to make this usable/backward compatible, we
would have to use the same package namespace for this permissions stuff
in that new antlib jar, which I think can cause issues when the same
package "org.apache.tools.ant.types" is now loaded/available in 2
separate CodeSources (jars) - one in core Ant jar and one in this antlib
jar.