ant-dev mailing list archives

From S Abirami <s.abir...@ericsson.com.INVALID>
Subject RE: PaxHeaders folder is missing upgrade from 1.8.2 to 1.10.9
Date Sun, 31 Jan 2021 07:47:16 GMT
Thanks Stefan for clear explanation.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 30, 2021 7:43 PM
To: dev@ant.apache.org
Subject: Re: PaxHeaders folder is missing upgrade from 1.8.2 to 1.10.9

On 2021-01-29, S Abirami wrote:

> We have the same tar executed in Ant 1.8.2 and Ant1.10.9 build.
> We are seeing the difference of PaxHeader folder missing in latest Ant build.
> Hence, thought to discuss about the change.

I'm afraid we are talking past each other.

I've understood your question as such:

1. you've got a tar archive created outside of Ant that you 2. extract using Ant's <untar>
task 3. using 1.8.2 this resulted in addtional PaxHeaders.* folders you never
   really used
4. the additional folders are no longer there when you use Ant 1.10.9 5. you ask, whether
this means something is missing now

If anything of this is wrong, please correct me. Otherwise I obviously didn't understand what
you are asking.

My answer to the above question is that the tool used in step 1 added PAX headers that Ant
1.8.2 didn't understand and falsely considered assumed them to be files. Ant 1.10.9 understands
PAX headers so the additional files are no longer there. The files you really use should be
exactly the same as they used to be with 1.8.2 (as you can verify by comparing them bit by
bit).

> Additionally, In release not 1.9.4 to 1.9.5 there is some description
> about PaxHeader but no bug id ismentioned.

The more important hint is in the release notes of 1.9.0

 * <tar> now supports a new "posix" option for longfile-mode which
   will make it create PAX extension headers for long file names.  PAX
   extension headers are supported by all modern implementations of
   tar including GNU tar.

The reason neither this nor the bugfix in 1.9.5 contain bug IDs is they simply have never
been reported as bugs in Ant. Ant's tar package has been the nucleus for the tar package of
Apache Commons Compress and the PAX header related changes have been "backports" of changes
made in Commons Compress.

Stefan