ant-dev mailing list archives

From S Abirami <s.abir...@ericsson.com.INVALID>
Subject RE: PaxHeaders folder is missing upgrade from 1.8.2 to 1.10.9
Date Fri, 29 Jan 2021 16:12:30 GMT
Hi Stefan,

We have the same tar executed in Ant 1.8.2 and Ant1.10.9 build.
We are seeing the difference of PaxHeader folder missing in latest Ant build.
Hence, thought to discuss about the change.

Additionally, In release not 1.9.4 to 1.9.5 there is some description about PaxHeader but
no bug id ismentioned.
Hence, thought to understand the behaviour change in the build.

Regards,
Abirami.S

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org>
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2021 7:35 PM
To: dev@ant.apache.org
Subject: Re: PaxHeaders folder is missing upgrade from 1.8.2 to 1.10.9

On 2021-01-29, S Abirami wrote:

> Our untar task will just untar *.so file and  *.dll file inside gzip and tar.gz.
> We didn't store anything inside a PaxHeader folder.

The tool you used to create the tar archive stored "something". Some tar tools create PAX
headers even if they are technically not required.

> Just to confirm the PaxHeader missing is expected in Ant build of
> 1.10.9 version or we are missing anything.

That you've seen PaxHeaders folders in 1.8.2 is an artifact to Ant not understanding PAX Headers.
Now it does and it knows these are no real files.

You still get the contents the creating archiver has put into the tar - you no longer get
additional files that have never been part of the tar in the first place.

Stefan