ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: Ivy - Goals for the upcoming release?
Date Sun, 21 May 2017 17:19:33 GMT
One thing though.

This revival of the community has been triggered by the comments on this issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-1485 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-1485>
It would be a shame if it is not fixed within the next release.

The issue and the fix are not easy to understand. Any review will be welcomed.

Nicolas

> Le 21 mai 2017 à 18:46, Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lalevee@hibnet.org> a écrit
:

>> Le 21 mai 2017 à 16:28, J Pai <jai.forums2013@gmail.com> a écrit :
>>
>> The past few days I’ve sent some PRs for bug fixes and some enhancements in preparation
for the proposed release of Ivy. Thanks Nicolas for reviewing them and merging those that
were good enough.

>> I’ve been using this JIRA filter [1] to narrow down on the issues to look into.
That filter essentially is of “open issues that affect 2.1.0, 2.2.0, 2.3.0 or 2.4.0 and
have been updated/created since Jan 1st 2014”. So it should cover most of the issues that
we probably should look into (doesn’t necessarily mean fix all of them, but just to check
if any of them are big enough to focus on).

>> I’ve also sent one PR for upgrading our internal library dependencies and plan
to send a couple more for similar upgrades. My intention is to use the latest released versions
of these dependencies instead of sticking with dependencies that are years old. My intention
_isn’t_ to upgrade to a version that isn’t API backward compatible, so these upgrades
are mostly bug fixes and should be “drop-in upgrades”.

>> I would be really glad to hear any thoughts about these changes or any other/different
plans, that can get us to a releasable state in the near future, especially from members/users
who have been involved with Ant/Ivy project in the past or present. Ultimately, I think if
we can agree on a goal for the upcoming release, it will help release something that will
set the right expectation with the end users when it comes to using it. My opinion is that
we consider this release to push out some bug fixes and internal upgrades and _not_ introduce
any major features unless those are reasonably quick to implement. Once this release is done
and (hopefully some of the) community gets back behind the Ivy project, we can always introduce
major features in subsequent releases.