ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: Ivy documentation with asciidoc
Date Wed, 31 May 2017 14:45:10 GMT

> Le 31 mai 2017 à 15:20, J Pai <jai.forums2013@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> I had some time today and decided to test this branch out locally. I was able to generate
the docs without any hassle. The conversion works fine which is a great thing.

> There are certain warning about the heading/section level we use in the generated adoc
files, for top level heading:

>> [asciidoctor:convert] asciidoctor: WARNING: dependency.adoc: line 7: section title
out of sequence: expected level 1, got level 2

> but that’s pretty much it in terms of build time warnings/errors.
>
> In one of my other mails I had noted that if not in this release then maybe in next release
we can focus on this xooki to asciidoc conversion. But at that time I wasn’t aware that
Nicolas had already done the bulk of this job by implementing this tool.

> So IMO, after fixing/finalizing some of those WARN related issues, we can probably just
go ahead and use this tool to convert our current docs to adoc as a one time thing in our
master branch. Till we are comfortable and are sure that the conversion is done fully, we
can keep the old xooki backed docs as-is but just not update/add any new stuff in them. Given
how nicely this tool works and the fact that it isn’t breaking anything, I don’t think
we will have to maintain a separate branch to deal with this migration.

The goal of this tool is not to generate completely asciidoc compatible source, just do most
of the stuff automatically. For instance, fixing the issue with the title level automatically
will be hard I think, at least harder than fixing it manually afterward.
So the question about it being ready or not, is more about if we are ready to fix manually
what is not being correctly converted.

About keeping the old xooki sources: I don’t think this will be necessary, we have git for
that. But probably just before migrating, we could generate the doc one last time with xooki
and keep it somewhere so we can compare the final result while fixing manually the asciidoc
sources.

Then about when to do it: I have no objection to when, as long as people are motivated to
do it.

Nicolas

> Any thoughts?
>
> -Jaikiran
>
> On 25-May-2017, at 7:55 PM, Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lalevee@hibnet.org> wrote:
>

>> Le 25 mai 2017 à 16:17, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> a écrit :
>>
>> Merge commits always spam the commits list which, while annoying, I've
>> learned to mass-delete whenever it happens. ;)
>>
>> I looked at some random changes and found a couple markup typos, but
>> otherwise it looks like it converted well enough.
>
> Yes, I have stopped one too. Some things will need to be manually fixed after the automatic
conversion.

>> I'm more familiar with the maven plugins for site management, so I'm not
>> sure about the integration aspects, but worst case scenario, can't you just
>> commit the parts to svnpubsub on release?
>
> If you look at the menu on the left, it is present on each page, so it means that for
any new file or deleted file, every page has to be regenerated. The consequence it that generating
a page of the site has to be aware of the list of all the pages of the documentation.

> But we can imagine that we uncouple the documentation, like it is being done for the
old versions of the documentation, in the « history » section, by just having a link. So
yes we could some manual copy and publish to svnpubsub on release.