ant-dev mailing list archives

From J Pai <jai.forums2...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ivy+IvyDE: help wanted
Date Tue, 16 May 2017 11:11:10 GMT
Thanks Jan for initiating this.

On the ICLA front -  I already have contributed and continue to contribute to some other Apache
projects (these days mostly via github). Do I still have to sign the ICLA? Is there a way
to check if I have already signed this ICLA previously? I don’t remember if I was asked
to do that for the other Apache projects.

As for patches, I had submitted one a while back and need someone to review it https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/pull/10/files.

Few other things:

- As I have noted in the past, in some mails[1] to the dev list, I am willing to help out
in whatever way I can to move the project forward. As noted in some of those mails, I in no
way have the complete understanding of the current codebase, but am willing to invest time
as I go along to help fixing issues and adding enhancements wherever I can. One of the recent
things I had attempted was to triage some issues in the Ivy JIRA and see if we can come to
a decision on pushing out a new release with at least a few of them fixed. That discussion
did get some community discussion but couldn’t achieve much given that there wasn’t any
actionable involvement from those who could really do a release. In short, I would like to
give this another try and see how it goes.

- From a development point of view, given that there aren’t many who are familiar with the
codebase, it would really help build some kind of confidence level in submitted patches, if
the github repo was backed by the usual PR processing mechanism that’s associated with many
other Apache projects out there. What I mean is, submission of each PR triggering the builds,
testcases through a build automation tool (like Jenkins) and reporting back with any issues
with existing test cases.

- Finally, IMO, given how long this project has gone without any development or a release,
I think it would be good to really aim for a release in the next few months. It doesn’t
have to contain too many fixes or enhancements, but something to get the release train going
and making contributors feel it’s worth their time.

On the IvyDE front, I think in the past few months there was a community member who did do
a good job, IMO, to make sure the builds are back to working, so I think that project too
has seen someone who’s willing to help.

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@ant.apache.org/msg45129.html

-Jaikiran