ant-dev mailing list archives

From J Pai <jai.forums2...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Increase minimum Java version for Ivy to Java7
Date Fri, 19 May 2017 07:39:54 GMT
One of the reasons, other than the fact that I haven’t personally seen anyone using Java
5 in development projects or production for many years now, has to do with the development
and testing of the project itself.

It’s hard to find a Java 5 runtime to actually test the product against (almost the same
with Java 6). Plus the fact that, for enhancements like this one [1] we will end up adding
a bit more complexity to the project which can be avoided if we move to a higher version.
Add to that the various language level features that we can’t currently use (try with resources,
switch statements from string etc…) in the code.

As for using Ivy with Ant 1.9.x, I think the strategy we can follow is to recommend users
to use Ivy 2.5.x with Ant 1.10.x (which by the way is Java 8 runtime backed). If however they
do want to use Ant 1.9.x version, then ask them to use Ivy 2.4.0.

[1] https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/pull/19

-Jaikiran