ant-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Oulds, Jonathan" <>
Subject RE: Ivy - Proposal for reviving the project and moving towards a release
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2016 11:47:30 GMT
I'd like to add my vote for a 2.4.1 release.  We don't want to raise the expectation that there
will be substantial new functionality (which would warrant a 2.5.0 version).

However, if the 2.4.1 release goes well I would certainly suggest that we aim for a 2.5.0
release in the second half of 2017.

Longer term I would suggest that we try to maintain a regular release schedule ideally two
per year as below:
Q1 - Bug fix:
Q3 - Bug fix plus at least one new feature:

Jonathan Oulds
Snr. Software Engineer

-----Original Message-----
From: J Pai [] 
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 4:11 AM
To: Ant Developers List <>; Maarten Coene <>
Subject: Re: Ivy - Proposal for reviving the project and moving towards a release

Maarten, thanks for volunteering to review the PRs. One of them has a test case. I will add
a test for the other one.

It looks like you have been involved with Ivy development and releases before, so I think
you would be in a better position to decide if it should be 2.5.0 or 2.4.1. I personally prefer
2.4.1 because we are focussing on fixing some reported issues rather than introducing some
new features.

As for the release timeline, the reason I asked for a March 2017 date is to make sure we have
a realistic goal in mind of releasing it instead of a open ended one which drags can potentially
drag on for a while given the current state of the project. Having said that, you and others
in ant-dev team who have been involved in previous releases can decide what makes sense in
terms of release commitments. My whole goal is to try and get a usable bug fix release out
soon, since the last one was 2 years back.


On Monday, December 12, 2016, Maarten Coene <>
> Thanks Jaikran,
> I will look at your patches, I'll try to do it this week.If possible,
please attach a junit test as well to reproduce the problem.
> About the release, the master branch already contains some fixes since
the 2.4.0 release. They are listed in the release-notes.html in the 'doc'
directory. If we want to create a 2.4.1 release, we should merge all these changes (and all
upcomming patches) into the 2.4.x branch as well. If we decide to create a 2.5.0 release,
this merging isn't necessary. I wouldn't pin on an exact timing, we can create a release any
time when we think the codebase is ready for it.
> We also have to find a release manager. I did it in the past when we 
> were
on SVN, but I don't have enough GIT knowledge (and I don't have the time to look into it)
to do a new release.
> Maarten
>       Van: Jaikiran Pai <>
>  Aan:
>  Verzonden: zondag 11 december 15:22 2016
>  Onderwerp: Ivy - Proposal for reviving the project and moving towards 
> a
> First off, I'm not an Ivy or Ant committer. The proposal that I make 
> below for an Ivy release is based on what was discussed in a recent 
> mail thread about the future of Ivy 
> There 
> was a suggestion that someone from community volunteer to try and 
> bring in some activity into the project and see if we can create a 
> release after triaging the JIRA issues.
> I have had a look at the open issues in JIRA today and decided to 
> filter out issues that are open, updated since Jan 2014 and affects 
> versions 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4. I decided to use this as a filter 
> criteria to just select a few that I thought can be considered 
> "active". This [1] returns 57 issues. I went ahead and looked at those 
> issues today and have asked for more information in the JIRAs wherever 
> relevant and have sent a couple of pull requests [2] [3] to fix some straightforward
> I also have another PR that I opened this week to fix one other issue.
> Out of those 57 issues, many are no longer relevant or don't have 
> enough details. I don't have JIRA privileges to label them, share 
> filters or even assign some to myself to track them better. So I think 
> for now, we can rely on that JIRA search query [1].
> At this point, I think, if we can target March 2017 for releasing a
> 2.4.1-Beta-1 with fixes from the list of JIRAs I think that would be a 
> good start. Some of the issues noted in that JIRA are indeed important 
> ones and would need some review/help in fixing them correctly, which 
> essentially means, we need at least one person who has had experience 
> with the Ivy code and its design details and also has the committer
> Does any of this look feasible? Let me know if this isn't enough to 
> move things forward - I don't want to end up sending PRs and spending 
> time on this if there's no way we can get to a proper release in the 
> next few months.
> [1]
> [2]
> [3]
> -Jaikiran
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: For additional 
> commands, e-mail:
Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
Registered No. 1134945 (England)
Registered Office: Pipers Way, Swindon SN3 1RJ
VAT No: 860 2173 47

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for
the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review or distribution
by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies.
View raw message