ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: former svn:externals: subtree merge or submodule
Date Fri, 30 May 2014 14:39:03 GMT
On 2014-05-29, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> AFAIU we have two options to replace the svn:externals, submodules[1] or
> subtrees[2].  I've never used either so haven't got any first hand
> experience.  Anybody else?  I'll also reach out to some co-workers for
> their experience.

Practically all of my colleages who have used either recommended
submodules.

> It looks as if using submodules would require some extra work from
> everybody checking out the code tree (which includes the CI servers)
> while it should be automatic for subtrees.

Most CIs know about submodules and automatically do the right thing,
I've been told.  Of course this doesn't include Gump, which is not a
problem for the Ant community at large but rather for a small subset of
it :-)

Antoine pointed my to a post by Charles Duffy about this and Charles
recommended to look into subtrees in a slightly different context.  This
isn't about a single tree experience but rather about mixing in a
different git tree which is supposed to only ever be updated in its
original location.

By now I think I can live with either but we need to make a decision and
run with it.

Stefan