ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Reilly" <peter.kitt.rei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Deferring references
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2006 20:23:58 GMT
On 9/25/06, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Peter Reilly <peter.kitt.reilly@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 9/25/06, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:

> >> Will probably break something like
>
> [...]
>
> >> which is copied straight from the examples for <script> in the Ant
> >> manual for version 1.6.5.
> >
> > Yep, this is correct ;-) , I have removed the example from the
> > documentation.
>
> I've seen that 8-)
>
> >> I.e. it breaks something that was documented to work before.  One
> >> could even assume it was a best practice, given it was used in the
> >> manual.
> >
> > Yep, one may assume it was best practice, but it is not!
>
> Never claimed it was.
>
> >> This example predates Ant 1.2 IIRC.
> >
> > I know, that is why I have raises the reference deferral
> > as a issue.
> >
> > I really cannot see the use-case described by the example.
> > I would not think that there are any examples in the "wild".
>
> You've identified two cases in Ant's tests yourself.

I meant the use-case of script tasks getting tasks in
other targets, modifying them and then executing them.

The two cases in ant's tests do give me pause for
thought, but I feel on balance that they work on
the anti-pattern of "it works by accident" and thus
are very brittle. One checked  the contents of a reference to a fileset
defined in another target as a nested element. It took
me a long time to figure out why it worked at all.

I feel uncomfortable about changing this, even though you are probably
> right that it it should better be changed.

I am uncomfortable as well, but I think that this change will
stop a lot of strange bug reports and will allow some interesting
uses of references.

Peter

Stefan