ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Reilly" <peter.kitt.rei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: suggestion : Ant 1.8 full dist to include a 'scripting lang'
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2006 08:38:46 GMT
For ant 1.8, we will support jdk6 javax.script.*
in some fashion.
JDK 6 has javascript (a nobbled version of
rhino) built in - so ant build files will
get that language for free if the they use JDK 6.

On 9/12/06, Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de <Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de> wrote:

> >> I also think that a lot of the code in the current optional tasks
> >> could be re-written using scriptdefs instead and provided as an
> >> antlib.

IKK, no!

 This would keep the core in Java, but move the more
> >'scripty'
> >> style of tasks into a more appropriate tool/lang
> >
> >I'm not convinced that script languages are more appropriate 8-)
>
> Me neither. IMHO its easier to do more complicated checks, e.g. if
> attribute combination is ok eg.
> with check*() methods.
> But maybe I am not familiar enough with scripting....
>

> >> Downsides are of course that the implementation language of Ant
> >> changes (core in Java, some optional tasks implemented as scriptdefs
> >> + a. n. other language).
> >>
> >> Anyway, please post flames in 3..2..1
> >
> >Not a flame.  Even though I personally don't like the idea of
> >replacing existing tasks, I wouldn't stand in the way.
>
> Thats the fine thing on this list: we dont flame :-)
>

> >But an observation.  Gump used to be written in Java and XSLT.
> > It was re-written in Python because Python seemed to be more
> >appropriate and Gump might attract developers from the
> >non-Java parts of the ASF.  The result today is that the
> >number of active developers has dropped from about two to about zero.

Opps!

Oh - Gump3 is over?

> >If we chose a "standard" scripting language for Ant,

Not a snowballs change in hell! ;-)

> it means
> >the Ant developer community must feel comfortable with it.
> >Comfortable enough to be able to maintain and review the code.
>
> And the scripting language must Ants Java-compliance-mode:
> runnable+compilable on JDK1.2.

Ant core has to be JDK 1.2 - at least for the moment.
(It is getting difficult to get JDK1.2 to test with....).

Some non-core optional tasks may depend on higher jdk's
- apt is an example, but the policy should be only to
do this if absolutly required.

Jan