ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [patch] FTP.java - adding support for new features in commons-net 1.4.0 and performance improvement
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 09:26:58 GMT
Steve Cohen wrote:

> Since there is apparently an Ant 1.6.4 version coming out on May 19th
> and since Neeme Praks has already submitted a patch to accomodate it,
> why not try to get this into that release?  As the author of the
> commons-net code that Mr. Praks is relying on, and an Ant committer, I
> would be happy to take a look at his code and "sponsor" it for the 1.6.4
> release.
>
> I realize that there may be other deadlines here.  What do other Ant
> committers think?

I worry about releasing any change to code without giving it time to
stabilise and beta test. Last minute "this won't break anything" patches
always break something. Always. At least in my experience.

If commons1.4.0 is incompatible with shipping <ftp> then yes, we have no
choice but to upgrade. But if it is a feature enhancement, then it needs
to go into CVS_HEAD

-steve