ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Commons-Net 1.4.0 Released]
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 15:54:30 GMT
Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
>>From: Steve Cohen [mailto:scohen@javactivity.org]
>

>>Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
>>
>>>Why not move the task or its new version into jakerta-commons and
>>>provide us with a ready to go feature full antlib. That
>>
>>would allow us
>>
>>>to start decoupling
>>>things from the main ANT release.
>>>
>>>Jose Alberto
>>>

>>I have not been as active in Ant circles as in the past.  Is
>>decoupling
>>now a strategic priority for Ant?  Can you please provide me
>>with more
>>details, examples?  I'd be happy to use that approach if that's the
>>direction the community is taking.  I think it's a good idea.
>

> My point here is that Ant's <ftp/> will not be re-release until the next
> release of Ant, God knows when. If you want the new features to be
> available sooner
> it may be a better idea the have the new task as part of jakarta-commons
> or some
> pluggable jar that can be released faster.
>
> We are all under Apache so borrowing from the current code should be no
> issue (am I wrong?).
> We can then point people to the new <ftp> task provided by commons.
>
> We may talk about cross-distribution later as we are all under apache,
> but maybe a
> link in our documentation to yours will be good enough. As to how define
> the antlib
> is almost trivial :-)
>
> Thoughts?

There is actually one big weakness of independent releases, and that is
you have to support older versions of Ant. I have to make sure the
smartfrog tasks and build files work with ant1.6.x, and get deprecated
warnings related to FileUtils when I build on 1.7, because they may be
deprecated there but there is no alternative to their use in the 1.6
codebase.

Moving stuff out of the main branch simplifes some things, but adds others.