ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Reilly <peterrei...@apache.org>
Subject Re: manual with css
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:49:33 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Mar 2005, Peter Reilly <peterreilly@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>I have been looking at using a little css to make the hand-made ant
>>manual pages look a bit like the generated ant manual pages.
>>

>+1
>

>>I would like to add a reference to the css file for
>>the non-generated pages. It probablly should be
>>a different stylesheet file that the antmanual.css as
>>that one should also be used by the generated pages.
>>

>Wouldn't it be cleaner to
>
>(1) add that to antmanual.css
>(2) make the xdocs proposal reference antmanual.css
>(3) make the xdocs proposal not create any bgcolor attributes or
>
>?
>
>I don't know enough about the inner workings of the xdocs proposal to
>know how easy (2) and (3) would be, though.

Yes, it would be cleaner, but:

1) the generated docs use tables for positioning. Either this would need
to change, or
   one would need to place a large number of <divs> in the hand written
manual pages.

2) the proposal uses velocity to generate the html files from the xml
input files, and
   after spending some time with trying to modify this
   a while ago, I would not want to do this again.
   In any case, a number of people have been looking at modifying the
auto generation,
   so this could be done when the new auto generation is done (i.e. the
generated html
   would use css to set attributes rather than having every thing in-line).

Peter