ant-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: REGRESSION: Ant 1.6+ doesn't detect duplicate targets
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:38:06 GMT
> From: Peter Reilly [mailto:peter.reilly@corvil.com]
> I think it is used as a feature with the <import> task for target
> overriding...

I thought that was the origin of the problem, but that doesn't make it less
of a bug I'd say. Not much sense in the same build file overriding its own
targets, no? It is a bug in one of my build file, and I'd like Ant to tell
me about it. It's already much more difficult to know that a build file is
correct with Ant 1.6+, since only executed tags are validated, so lets not
add to the confusion with allowing duplicate targets in build files, please.

Just yesterday I fixed yet another hidden bug in another build file, where
the content of an <outofdate> was executed for the first time in a long
while, because running in a newly checked out sandbox. I had the <outofdate>
in an xmlns="...", and the Ant targets in <sequential> could thus not be
found in the Ant-Contrib namespace...

This kind of hidden bugs would warrant UNIT tests for build files, to run
all possible targets, in all circumstances, with code coverage of the build
file code, etc... I liked the fail-fast behavior of Ant 1.5 better, even
though I'm aware of the technical reasons behind the changes to all UE. --DD