ant-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Antlib descriptor
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:09:40 GMT
Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:

> I am not too keen on having alive ANTS roaming in my classpath.
>
> Jar files are passive things, in general having too many in your
> classpath does not mean you will execute more stuff. I think that is nice
> and autoinitializing jars (antlibs) sound way too scary at this point.

AFAIK the proposal doesn't implement autodiscovery - and we don't know if we
will get getResources("META-INF/antlib.xml" ) or require explicit <antlib
...>.

In any case - it is easy to give user explicit control.

In many systems libraries have a initialization mechanism. We may only allow
conditions for example - but I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with
this, that would guarantee we'll never want to do this.

Same for allowing libraries to define fragments and targets - maybe today
most people thing it is a crazy idea, but one year from now we may find it
usefull. Of course, we could change the parser then - but we'll accumulate
a lot of behaviors that would make this difficult.

Costin