ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Persistent global properties - are they going to be avail abl e?
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:33:50 GMT
On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Dominique Devienne <DDevienne@lgc.com> wrote:

> Not much left to argue when you bring in "truth" like this, is
> there...  A case a coding fundamentalism!?!?!?!

I'm known for my dogmatism, yes (BTW 8-) is my version of other
people's :-) or ;) or ... you get the idea).

"singletons are evil" is a broad statement and I don't claim ownership
for it <http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?SingletonsAreEvil>.

I don't think one should use singletons blindly but ask oneself
whether there is a reason that one really only wants a single instance
at any given situation.  There certainly are good use-cases for the
singleton patter, but I don't think there is a pressing need for this
in the FileUtils case.

And when you are coding in Java remember that you'll always have one
singleton instance per classloader for your sinleton class.

Stefan