ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/optional/extension Extension.java
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2002 14:18:20 GMT
On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Peter Donald <peter@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 21:32, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> if I need to fix a bug in one of these classes, I'm
>> going to fix it.  I cannot do this in excalibur...
>
> Exactly why can't you do this in excalibur?

I'd have to wait for somebody with commit access to excalibur to fix
it.

> Usually when I find a bug in a library I drop a note on mailing list
> or into bugzilla and it gets fixed.

Same for me - you'd probably easily find examples of me doing so on
various mailing lists and in bugzilla.

This case is different as it would be a bug in a class that lives in
Ant's module.  I don't want to wait for somebody else to fix Ant.

> If you have ever had *any* problem contributing to it then tell me
> and I will fix it.

What if you are not around?  What if you disagree with changes because
they don't fit with excalibur (but fit with Ant)?

The code you've put into Ant's module has the same fate as the
org.apache.tools.mail package IMHO.  It comes from a different code
base and will be patched in both code bases over time.  If you want to
avoid that, you'll have to keep them in sync manually.

Whatever is in Ant's module is open to be changed by Ant any
committer.  That's all I say and I'll stick to it.

Stefan