ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/optional/extension Extension.java
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:32:25 GMT
On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Peter Donald <peter@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 16:28, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> All that I wanted to say is that *I* won't do what your warning
>> expects me to do if I see a reason to change the class
>
> It takes a very minor effort on your part to collaborate but instead
> you choose not to.

Huh?

Come on Peter, if I need to fix a bug in one of these classes, I'm
going to fix it.  I cannot do this in excalibur, but I can do so in
Ant's CVS - and this is where I'll do it.  I don't have the bandwidth
to follow excalibur or Avalon development, it is not a minor effort on
my side to become a committer there.

> or did not have someone who would fix original project then it may
> be understandable

So you are saying I should ignore bug reports because you are going to
fix the problems?

> You work against a project rather than with it.

Which project?  Ant?  I don't think I need to defend myself against
this.

> I wonder why Ant2 is taking so long.

Do you mean Ant2 or Myrmison this time?

Myrmidon seems to be getting along without me quite well, probably
better than it would do with me on board.

> I want users to have this work out of the box without going through
> uglies to get it working.

<taskdef> is an ugly?

> Users have to suffer enough due to crappy decisions

Yep, and duplicating code is a very bad decision IMHO.

> However given the near religious fervour against bundling even
> essentials in ants distribution I assumed this was out - or am I
> wrong?

What came closest to religious fervor was fighting against jars in
CVS, and even there I've given up, or we would be without junit.jar in
Ant's CVS.

I feel it is wrong to ship everything under the sun with Ant because
people don't need twelve versions of every jar on their disks, but I
don't stop Stephane from adding Xalan.

And your essentials are not everybody's essentials - neither are mine.

Stefan