ant-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Rousse <rou...@ccr.jussieu.fr>
Subject Re: [JPackage-devel] RE: RPMs
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:51:07 GMT
Le Mercredi 24 Avril 2002 16:37, GOMEZ Henri a écrit :
> >I must have missed some mails here, and it is a bit hard to
> >understand what is
> >discussed here.
> >I'm currently aware of three ant scripts:
> >
> >- default one, in ant archive
> >
> >- Henry's one, in jakarta rpm
> >
> >- jpackage one, in jpackage rpm
> >
> >I guess objective is to make those different scripts closer,
> >right ? Henry, do
> >you still intend to maintain the jakarta rpm ?
>
> If we could use the jpackage rpm, I'll be happy to avoid
> such duplicate job ;)
>
> But before then we should make ant developpers a little
> more happy with our scripts and layouts. May be we'll
> be able to adapt our modification to ant original script
> and sus avoiding problems (think about OpenPKG which could
> run on non Linux platform).
Sofar, i'm not aware of any trouble caused by someone using jpackage rpms.

Most of current (virtual jaxp parser resource, unified java virtual machine
location, etc...) and future adaptations (splitted optional tasks to make
dependencies less drastic, automatic loading of dependend classes) are
pointless outside jpackage project.

Inversely, taking care of non-rpm based platform is pointless for us.

> The more we have in common with original ant script, the
> better it will be. Also less works for us to patch it when
> they (ant developpers) modify it for platform we didn't
> actually track since they're not (yet) rpm based.
I don't patch defaut script anymore, i provide a complete rewrite offering
same features with unified jpackage behaviour. However, i think we should
provide legacy script as a standard policy in package documentation.

> >Concerning jpackage script, i don't see the point of using a
> >top-level ant
> >directory and symlinks. As we know where the real files are
> >installed, and we
> >have to modify to script anyway, we can safely use real file locations
>
> ant use the antRun script which is not in jakarta rpm (bad error)
> but is present under /usr/bin is jpackage rpm.
And ant finds it, as i use -Dant.home=/usr in jpackage script :-)
--
Guillaume Rousse <rousse@ccr.jussieu.fr>
GPG key http://lis.snv.jussieu.fr/~rousse/gpgkey.html