ant-dev mailing list archives

From stephan beal <step...@wanderinghorse.net>
Subject Re: property expansion: expected behaviour?
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:49:03 GMT
On Wednesday 24 April 2002 16:28, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> This is the expected behavior in Ant 1.4.1.... a single $ gets stripped.
> Two $$ gets replaced by a single $.
>
> Ant 1.5 changes this behavior such that single $ remain - all other
> behavior remains the same so that $$ -> $.

So any character data which legitmately uses $$foo for it's own purposes will
then be hosed down to $foo? i know this sounds odd, but i have some inline
makefile snippets in my build file, and they must escape the bash variables
they use $$. With ant 1.5 they should then be $$$foo, or will $$$foo be
treated as two tokens: $ and $$foo? (or $$ and $foo?). It sounds like there's
a lot of room for inconsistency and kludges there.

We know that ant will evaluate:
<echo>${someundefinedvar}</echo>
to "${someundefinedvar}"
Given that, i think it should also not touch any $'d text unless it can find a
matching variable. That seems like the most consistent approach. It doesn't
make sense that it will refuse to parse out unset vars, but will then freely
nuke any other $'s which it finds. :/

----- stephan
stephan@einsurance.de - http://www.einsurance.de
Office: +49 (89)  552 92 862 Handy:  +49 (179) 211 97 67
"I didn't give in to the Nazis and I won't give in to the bladder."
- The Queen Mum