ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Persistent global properties - are they going to be avail abl e?
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2002 23:29:10 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dominique Devienne" <DDevienne@lgc.com>
To: "'Ant Developers List'" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2002 12:30 PM
Subject: RE: Persistent global properties - are they going to be avail abl
e?

> On the contrary. ClassLoaders are wonderful. They're just tricky to
program
> with, but give you tremendous power. No Applets, Servlets, EJB containers,
> etc... without them. Anyone doing Java should understand them IMHO.
> Similarly, Singletons are useful (there's not in the GoF for nothing), but
> one has to remember the twist Java puts on them, as Stefan pointed out.

classloaders are invaluable. but they are also evil.

-too much of their behaviour is implicit "its how they work", rather than
explicit "its in the docs"

-when you change security managers and have different classes and singleton
things in there it gets messy (which is why we dont use a security manager
in non-forked <java>)

-all that ext/ stuff is just plain silly