ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: article: combining make and ant
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2002 13:36:47 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "stephan beal" <stephan@einsurance.de>

> Make is, let's face it, far better at dependency checking than Ant

Care to elaborate on this?  In what way is it better?

> take advantage of make's dependency capabilities in allowing it to build
our
> custom Ant tasks before it runs the main build.

You're saying Ant can't do this?

> The tasks must be built
> before Ant is run on our source tree, and make takes care of that for us,
> running ant once to build the tasks then once more to compile our source
tree
> (which uses those just-compiled tasks).

You can easily build tasks in the same build file that uses them with Ant.
Is that the dilemma you're solving by hooking make in to the front-end?

> running Unix machines, then a mix of make and Ant is a powerful
combination.
> While the purists (and Windows users ;) out there can justifiably argue,
"we
> must implement it all in build.xml, using Pure Ant and Java", i disagree.
> We may as well use the tools available to us, especially when they make
our
> jobs easier.

No argument with using what you know and what you've got.  I just want to
understand what Ant cannot do for you in this scenario - of if you're just
opting to cooperate with make because that is easiest for you.

    Erik