ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stephane Bailliez <stephane.baill...@haht.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdef s Zip.java
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2002 15:03:03 GMT

This attribute has never been there but for nightly builds.
In short: It does not exist.

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/binindex.html
"Nightly Builds are those that are very unstable (a.k.a. dynamite!). We have
no confidence in them. They are for developers who are helping to develop
the technology and want "the latest bits." Use at your own risk!"

> > If I use myrmidon right now and come to see you 2 weeks
> later because you
> > broke something in my build you would the first to say "hey
> dude, sorry but
> > I need to refactor things before making it public, it's not
> because it's in
> > cvs that it is public. period."
>
> A little different I think.

Absolutely not. Those who want to live on the edge know the risks of it.

Example: Turbine 2.2/3.0/Torque/Fulcrum is in development.
I'm using Turbine 2.2b1 unofficial snapshot. Some things get in, get out,
are refactored.
Jon add an absolute path handling for velocity service in 3.0. It's
backported in 2.2. Later Jason remove from 2.2. I say 'huho, sorry useful',
he puts it back in for this valid reason. however things are in getting more
and more complex right now due to separation/enhancement between torque,
fulcrum, stratum. That would be stupid to raise a red flag and say 'hey
guys, I have a snapshot of 2.2 from December, the changes you have right now
break the whole thing: -10000, stop everything, stop development, put
everything back in, stop."

It's not official and Costin agreed with that as well.

That's not because someone used a feature from one snapshot that it should
be in forever.

Please reconsider your -1. I understand what you want to avoid but this is
way too dangerous to generalize that and this would be the exact same thing
if we were to do that on Myrmidon.

Stephane