ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Update to Sandbox/antlib
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2002 08:58:29 GMT
On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 03:07, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> I need something that is to some extent compatible
> with the current code in ANT1 and the way ANT1 finds
> things in the only two roles it understands today:
> task and datatype. The way this is done today is using
> the TaskContainer interface. That is you do not look
> at the parameters of the methods in the container-task
> but instead you look at the interface implemented by
> the container-task itself.
>
> This has in my opinion the advantage that the
> container needs to declare what it is that it allows
> to contain, as oppose to trying to discover it.
> Still one can have conflicts, but it should really
> reduce the chances for those.

I am not sure there is any more or less conflicts with either method but your
method is more compatible with current ant model.

> Proxys need to be there also (optionally) so that we
> can do what TaskAdapter does AND more importantly, try
> to solve the type inconsistency issue between
> TaskContainers and Datatypes that now is solved by
> accident.

Blech - dont like adapters at all. I guess we can chalk this up to ant1.x
legacy but it still feels ungainly to me :( I would prefer we just ignore the
DataTypes inconsistency and just try not to introduce anymore inconsistencies.

> If you mean by "mutable" the fact that a class
> implementing a datatype can be changed by a
> subproject, then I would have expect you to have more
> confidence on my design ;-)

:)

No I was more thinking that you could grab a FileSet object, add a new
pattern to it and this new pattern would appear in parent project. That makes
me feel icky. I guess this is already possible with inheriting datatypes via
ant/antcall - yuck. Hmm we haven't released that maybe we should consider
zapping support for it ? :)

--
Cheers,

Pete

The avalanche has already started. It is too late for
the pebbles to vote.  -Ambassador Kosh