ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [SUBMIT] Refactor & combination of mail tasks
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2002 02:25:07 GMT
From: "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com>

> Agreed... but most of the folks that have
> submitted the patches are already running
> fine with their own custom built version of
> Ant and aren't in a hurry for it to be rolled
> into a nightly build.

I have seen quite a few e-mails from the
contributors in the not-so-distant-past
which clearly told that they were not
satisifed with our turn around time.  Why
would they even contribute when their systems
were already running with their custom
versions?

Anyway, I am not arguing here - I understand
we can get to the patches only upon our own
timeframes...

> As long as we address the patches prior to a
> release by either applying them or postponing
> them for good reason then we're still doing
> ok, aren't we?

Cause-Effect:
Fixing a release date and then looking at the
available patches to meet that date is not better
than applying existing patches which push for a
new release.

> I agree its nice to keep up with them regularly
> if at all possible. Its just not possible for me
> currently to devote that large of a block of time
> for practically anything - I'm able to do quick
> patches and address e-mail support which is important
> to our collective committer mission too.

Don't get me wrong.  I am not imposing on you
in any way.  Forgive me, if I gave that impression.
I just made a request because you had been involved
with the code; that is all...  And I really really
know the huge amount of time you spend on ant-dev,
ant-user, and jguru, which, frankly, I think you
shouldn't be, lest you burn out :-)

>     Erik

Cheers,
Magesh